Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Getting acquainted with motherhood



We’ve been home from the hospital for 10 days now. The first week I was miserable recovering from the c-section. My first day home was a challenge, my poor babies were so cold and they didn’t like sleeping on their backs so we got a space heater next to there bed and got them inclined sleep position pads, by about 6am in the morning when they finally started to sleep a major storm hit and we lost power until 8:30pm that night. We had the girls in the living room with their crib next to a fire. I thought I was going to go mad!!! But finally everything is better, I’m up and about but don’t worry I’m not dancing yet! My struggle has been breast feeding. The nurses gave me a nipple shield in the hospital and it worked wonderfully but then I had to wean them off of it and that proved to be a challenge for little Estee but now I’m sure she has forgotten it, although we are still trying to master the latch on. Once she has it she is good but it can take her many tries to get it right. Currently my daily routine goes something like this. Work with one baby nursing for 15 + minutes, then supplement with breast milk or formula (while someone else gets to feed the other) then I pump. This may not seem like much but it takes about an hour sometimes longer and if I’m lucky sometimes shorter. Then I have about an hour and 45 minutes until I start setting up for the next feeding so I take that time to sleep, eat, take a shower, which really doesn’t seem like much time at all.

I’m also trying to get enough breast milk for both babies. I’m producing enough for one but I’m still really trying to have more then enough for both. I’m really hoping this comes around the time they can both feed from me with out any work. I really hate that all this work wears me out so much that I don’t feel like I have time to just lay there holding and enjoying my beautiful little gifts.

Last night little Coppelia had gas and she felt miserable!!! I’ve been blessed with super easy going babies who really don’t fuss. But last night the gas made her so uncomfortable and she kept looking at me like I needed to help. I just wanted to cry. Fortunately she fussed herself into sleep and woke up this morning feeling good. But oh how I wanted to take her pain away.

4 comments:

Tami Miller said...

Hannah, you're doing a great job!! I'm so proud of you and can't wait to see you being a mommy!! It's good to hear from you on the blog! Love ya!

louann said...

You and Tyler are amazing parents. These little girls are so fortunate to have such a wonderful mother and father to take care of all their needs with such love and effort.

Love you both
Mom

Mark & Julie said...

Gripe water and mylicon momma! Those two things were lifesavers for us with cassiebear. I remember these early days...take good care of yourself and you'll feel more active and energized in a few weeks, I remember at about the 7-8 week mark I felt almost normal again. Enjoy the breastfeeding while you can, part of me wishes I had gone longer, but the other part of me is glad I stopped when I did so that I had more time to play with them as they were getting more active. Soon you'll miss these "easy" sleepy days :)

We love you guys and you are great parents! You are doing a WONDERFUL job and you have amazingly beautiful babies!!!

Love the zoo

Tamar Schrater said...

Oh, Hannah. I feel for you. I remember how it was for me getting acquainted with nursing and a new baby and I only had ONE! Hang in there, knowing that you are doing your best and that that's all you can do. Well, that AND have lots of extra help and pray often and cry sometimes if you're frustrated and talk to other moms about what you're going through and eat massive amounts of food and drink plenty of water and try to nap when they're napping and...you get the idea ;)

Formerly "Scrambled Eggs"